Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I just don't understand..

how people are supposed to figure out when they're young what they want to concentrate on for the next 30 years. How am i supposed to know what I want to do, or what will make me happy in my career? I have barely experienced the work force and I have lots of interests so I guess i'll just have to try them one by one until I figure out something that I enjoy.

Recently i've been thinking about the future of my professional life. I know that my current job is not something I want to be doing forever (not to mention it pays poop and I can't sit around and wait for a raise that will never come) so.. I have a couple of plans for 2010 and we'll see how they go.

First, I want to get my Real Estate license. There are 2 classes I'm going to take online before I can take the test. I've been interested in Real Estate for a while now and I think it would be a fun job. I also think it would be fun to start a side business of creating virtual tours for my real estate clients so that their homes sell faster. Pictures are worth a thousand words, Virtual Tours are worth millions. Taking that one step further, I'm going to continue education in that with Appraisal classes and possibly become certified in that as well. Determining the value of residential and commercial property sounds like fun as well.. i'll never be working on the same thing twice, and I like that novelty.

I'm hoping those things may help me get involved with Property Management down the line and maybe even into Real Estate Investments or as a Real Estate Investment Manager or something like that. Again, i like real estate. I also like Interior Design so over the next couple years i'm going to take some basic classes at Penn. School of Art & Design here in Lancaster. This will help me network and I'll probably have to get involved with a community program to network as well. It's all about connections, right? (or at least 75% is).

Tonight I'm having a conversation with my Uncle about business. In the future, I may want to join his and my family's so starting the conversation now I think will help. But it makes me wonder if that would be something I really want to do. What if I jump into that and then decide I do want to be an Appraiser or Agent or Investment Manager.. is it too late? Well no but would I have wasted their time is the real question.

I just want to find a job that I'm excited to wake up for. Something that will keep my attention, as in my current job I get very distracted. Something that will provide for my husband and future children. Something that I can work from home part of the time would also be nice. Hefty wish list but I believe it's attainable. Hopefully 2010 will take us somewhere great!

No comments:

Post a Comment